Don’t let your garage turn into a junk room! If your garage is so messy that you can’t park you car in it or have to climb over boxes to access anything, now is the time to make a change. Let’s take a look at some garage organizing tips from an expert space organizer and remodeling contractor in Austin, TX:
- Take everything out: First things first: remove everything from your garage. An empty garage gives you the opportunity to start your organizing endeavors from scratch without stuff in the way acting as blinders. Map out how you want to use the space, such as designating areas for activities and where different items will be stored. And, since empty walls and floors may present with holes, cracks and other types of damage, this is the time to make cosmetic repairs.
- Clear the clutter: Now that you’ve pulled everything out of the garage, it’s the perfect time to sort through it all. Throw away trash and broken items, box up less used items to store and set aside things to donate or give to friends and family. You might also want to make the effort to get rid of any duplicate items—like tools and sports equipment—as well as downsize shoes and kids’ toys.
- Utilize all available storage space: Taking a good look at your empty garage, you will soon notice how much useable space there is. The walls have room for hooks, hanging rods and even cabinet installations. If your ceiling is high enough, then you can install shelving and racks to slip in bigger, more often used things. Just keep in mind that while utilizing all available storage space is ideal, you still need to be able to park your car without any issues.
- Plan a remodel: Some homeowners will decide to convert their garage into either a functional living space or designate it as a game room or workshop. Another reason for a room facelift is simply to update a garage with a new coat of paint, new wall and door insulation or drywall replacement. If a garage remodel is on your mind, work with a licensed remodeling contractor in Austin, TX to get the best results possible.
- Keep like items together: Storing non-perishable and temperature-tolerant things in the garage opens up indoor space for more often used household items and products. So, to make your life a little easier, make sure to group like items together in garage storage so they are easy to find. For example, designate a wire rack for bathroom necessities, one for cleaning supplies and another for sealed beverage containers.
- Label storage containers: There’s nothing more annoying than going out to the garage to retrieve something, only to encounter a dozen unmarked boxes. Clearly marking each box, drawer, bin and cabinet door will not only save you from headaches, but also prevent wasted time.
Whether you want some help organizing your garage for optimal use, need garage accessories or are contemplating renovating your garage, the professional team at Watermark & Company is ready with helping hands. Don’t hesitate to contact us to speak with one of our experienced home organizers or a remodeling contractor in Austin, TX!